Mitchell Junior College President Wick S. Sharp, circa 1935

Mitchell Junior College President Wick S. Sharp, circa 1935

Wick Shafter Sharp served as president of the junior college from 1933 until 1943 which included the name change from Mitchell Junior College to Pfeiffer Junior College in 1935. Not only did he assist in securing the aid of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Pfeiffer, but his Christian ideals helped numerous young people to receive an education. During Sharp's presidency, Cline, Goode, Merner, and Rowe Halls (all in 1935) were built. The entrance gates and the President's home were also erected (1935). The Administration Building was remodeled (1936), Jane Freeman Hall was built (1937), the "Y" Log Cabin was constructed, and faculty homes were completed (1938). The college expansion continued with the construction of Washington Hall, the Industrial Arts Building, and the Henry Pfeiffer Chapel in 1942. Sharp, who received two honorary doctorates (High Point College and Simpson College), had a vision of a self-sustaining school where any student desirous of an education could receive one regardless of financial constraints. Students could work in addition to, or in place of, tuition payments. To that end Sharp saw that land was acquired and Pfeiffer operated a farm, purchased with the help of Mrs. Henry Pfeiffer.
Dr. Sharp was selected as "Stanly County Man of the Year" in 1936 in recognition of all he had done for education in the area. Under Sharp the physical plant of Pfeiffer grew, enrollment increased, and the groundwork was laid for Pfeiffer to become a four-year college.

(written by Dr. Bernard C. Russell)
Photograph # Sharp