The yearbooks can be viewed through this page: http://digitalnc.org/institutions/pfeiffer-university
Or directly through this link:
Pfeiffer University Yearbooks
The Pfeiffer yearbook started in 1938 as the PaJaCa. The name changed in 1955 to the Panther which was the mascot for Pfeiffer at the time. The name changed again in 1956 to the Chimes. The students wanted to change the name of the yearbook to reflect Pfeiffer's new status as a four year college so a contest was held to decide the name. The Chimes was the overwhelming winner. A record player based Norton Tower Chimes System was installed in the Chapel spire in 1955. Several large gifts from members of the Board of Trustees ignited a fire on campus to raise the rest of the funds to make possible the installation of the Chimes in the Chapel. Dr. J. Lem Stokes II, the president during this time, suggested that each person on campus should raise $2 towards the approximately $1800 cost for installation of the Chimes System. The money was raised, the system installed and the Chapel Chimes rang for the first time Sunday December 11, 1955 at 6:30pm.
The Mary Fisher Floyd Archives and Special Collections is located in the G.A. Pfeiffer Library on the main campus of Pfeiffer University. The Archives and Special Collections house the University Archives, the official repository of historically significant records of the University. In addition, students and researchers will find other collections of materials, which due to their age, format, or condition, are better cared for separate from the library's regular circulating materials. These materials are referred to as the "special collections" and include Pfeiffer University's manuscript collections, and rare books and imprints.
Last Updated 05/09/2016
Hours of Operation
Fall and Spring Semesters
Hours are subject to change.
Appointments are strongly encouraged!
The Mary Fisher Floyd Archives and Special Collections are located in the G.A. Pfeiffer Library, on the Misenheimer campus of Pfeiffer University in Misenheimer, NC. The University Archives and Manuscript collections are housed on the basement level of the library; Pfeiffer University publications and the University's rare books and imprints are found on the second floor of the library in the Mary Fisher Floyd Room.
It is difficult to tell the history of Pfeiffer University without including the efforts of Mary Fisher Floyd. The Mary Fisher Floyd Archives and Special Collections were so named in honor of the woman who helped rediscover and preserve much of the school's history.
There was no official effort to maintain the records of Pfeiffer until the 1970s, but Mary Fisher Floyd researched Pfeiffer's beginnings as Oberlin Home and School, solicited donations from former students and teachers, and encouraged others to participate in honoring school founder Emily Prudden. Many of the initial deposits into the archives were due to the work of Mary Fisher Floyd.
A biographical sketch of Mary Fisher Floyd is available here.
A brief history of Pfeiffer University is available here.
The primary purposes of the Pfeiffer University Archives and Mary Fisher Floyd Special Collections are:
If you have materials that you are interested in donating to Pfeiffer, please contact the archivist, Jonathan Hutchinson.
Mary Fisher Floyd Archives and Special Collections
G.A. Pfeiffer Library
P.O. Box 960
Misenheimer, North Carolina 28109
For more information on the history of the United Methodist Church, please see: