A Brief History of Mitchell Home School
Mitchell Home School was a mission school of the Woman's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It had its origins in a school founded by Miss Emily C. Prudden between 1885 and 1903. It was called Oberlin Home and School, and was located near Hudson, North Carolina. On June 8, 1903 Miss Prudden deeded the Oberlin property to the Woman's Home Missionary Society. The offer had been made on the condition "that we contribute to its support $200 annually, and if it grows so as to require another teacher, an additional $100" (Woman's Home Missions, July 1903 p.128). In honor of her late step-son, Ebenezer W. Mitchell, Mrs. Mary A. Mitchell of Dayton, Ohio gave $1000 to the school. The institution took the name "Ebenezer Mitchell Home and School" under the Society. The school was plagued by problems, including a fire which destroyed the building, and in 1909 the decision was made by Society executives to accept an offer of land at Misenheimer, North Carolina, as the site of the new Mitchell Home School. The construction of a $15,000 building was begun in the summer of 1909. On February 2, 1910, the Southern Railway moved students and teachers, twenty-two in all, plus their freight, free of charge to Misenheimer. Southern Railway even delivered a load of coal from Tennessee to the new School. Classes began in April, serving forty-five boarding students, and thirty day students. The Mitchell School building was an omnibus-type structure, caring for all needs - classrooms, offices, dormitories, laundry, dining facilities. Fire plagued Mitchell in 1914 and all but one boys' dormitory was destroyed. The educational program adjusted to the reduced resources but still the school flourished. The first secondary school graduation was held in 1913, and was accredited by the NC Department of Public Instruction in 1922. The lower grades at Mitchell were slowly phased out as public county schools expanded and improved to fill those needs. Only high school courses were offered by 1932, the same year Mitchell graduated its first junior college students. The Junior College became accredited by the NC Department of Education in 1934, and by 1938 the school was operating solely as a Junior College.
Students, teachers and faculty- Photographs of students, teachers and faculty of Mitchell Home School. Majority of photographs taken from 1920 through the mid 1930s.
Buildings- Photographs of the buildings that made up the campus of Mitchell Home School, predecessor of Pfeiffer University.
Special Events- Photographs of students and teachers dressed for Special Events.
"The Mitchell Home School Photograph Collection is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the
North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program."