Gowell Cottage, circa 1935
Mrs. Annie B. Gowell, principal and teacher of Mitchell Home and School from 1913 until retirement in 1927, built what became known as the "Gowell Cottage", the oldest building still remaining on campus. Mrs. Gowell continued to live on campus until 1940. The home was originally between Old Cline and the Administration Building that was built in 1923. It was moved at the beginning of the Building Project of 1935 to where Washington Hall is now located to make room for the new buildings. When Washington Hall was built in 1939, the cottage was moved to behind Cline Hall. It was moved from behind Cline Hall in 1976 to its present location just south of the John Balle Harris Science building facing Highway US 52 and was renovated by the Mitchell School Alumni Association in 1978.
Photograph # gowellcottage