Guide to the Caroline F. Youngs Collection ca. 1920-1977
Collection Number Mss 19972
G.A. Pfeiffer Library, Mary Fisher Floyd Archives & Special Collections
Abstract: This small collection primarily documents the last years of a former Mitchell School superintendent. They include correspondence of Ms. Youngs from the 1940s, some photos of Ms. Youngs, and information pertaining to her final illness and death.
Information for Users
Caroline Flagg Youngs (1866-1947) was a native of Ogle County, Illinois. After graduating high school in 1884, Ms. Youngs taught in Rockford, Illinois, until 1908. Following a two-year teaching stint in West Virginia, she entered the University of Wisconsin, from which she matriculated in 1913. She then served as superintendent of education at the State Industrial School for Boys in Lansing, Michigan.
Ms. Youngs came to Misenheimer to superintend Mitchell School in 1920. She was instrumental in the establishment of Mitchell Junior College and served as first President of the College before her return in 1933 to Rockford. During World War II, Youngs taught at the Big Smoky School near Austin, Nevada. She died in Rockford in 1947 after contracting pneumonia.
Types of materials in this collection include: correspondence, eulogies, photographs, a scrapbook and clippings. The collection is divided into 5 series.
Types of materials in this collection include: correspondence, eulogies, photographs, a scrapbook and clippings.
The collection is divided into 5 series.
- Much of the correspondence series consists of Ms. Young's correspondence with students and friends during the 1940s. Two of the letters are a correspondence between Ms. Esther Brooks and Dr. Douglas Sasser, Pfeiffer president in the 1970s, concerning the donation of items.
- The Literary series consists of the eulogy given by Dr. J. Richard Sneed at Ms. Youngs funeral.
- This series contains photographs of Ms. Caroline F. Youngs.
- Contains clippings concerning Ms. Youngs' death.
- A scrapbook created by Ms. Youngs about her time at Mitchell Home School. Refer to the Mitchell Home School Collection for more information concerning the school.
Archives Home | Manuscript Listing |Library Home | Online Catalog | University Home