Oberlin Home and School, circa 1885.
The present day Pfeiffer University began with a two-story, 11-room structure on the side of Lick Mountain near Lenoir and Hudson, North Carolina. The $1,500 building was planned by Miss Emily Prudden and became the Oberlin Home and School, one of 15 mission schools that she established in the Carolinas. Miss Prudden deeded the property, which included 30 acres and 2 buildings, to the Woman’s Home Missionary Society of the former Methodist Episcopal Church on June 8, 1903. The school’s name was changed to the Ebenezer Mitchell Home and School in appreciation of a gift of $1,000 from Mary Mitchell of Dayton Ohio, the stepmother of Ebenezer Mitchell.
Photograph # Oberlin