Guide to the Mitchell Home School Collection, 1910 - 1996
Collection Number Mss 19981
G.A. Pfeiffer Library, Mary Fisher Floyd Archives & Special Collections
Detailed Description of the Collection
Abstract:The Mitchell Home School Collection consists primarily of items pertaining to the School which were donated by former students and faculty, including correspondence, memorabilia, photographs, and recorded memories.
Information for Users
Mitchell Home School was a mission school of the Woman's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It had its origins in a school founded by Miss Emily C. Prudden between 1885 and 1903. It was called Oberlin Home and School, and was located near Hudson, North Carolina. On June 8, 1903 Miss Prudden deeded the Oberlin property to the Woman's Home Missionary Society. The offer had been made on the condition "that we contribute to its support $200 annually, and if it grows so as to require another teacher, an additional $100" (Woman's Home Missions, July 1903 p.128). In honor of her late step-son, Ebenezer W. Mitchell, Mrs. Mary A. Mitchell of Dayton, Ohio gave $1000 to the school. The institution took the name "Ebenezer Mitchell Home and School" under the Society. The school was plagued by problems, including a fire which destroyed the building, and in 1909 the decision was made by Society executives to accept an offer of land at Misenheimer, North Carolina, as the site of the new Mitchell Home School. The construction of a fifteen thousand dollar building was begun ion the summer of 1909. On February 2, 1910, the Southern Railway moved students and teachers, twenty-two in all, plus their freight, free of charge to Misenheimer. Southern Railway even delivered a load of coal from Tennessee to the new School. Classes began in April, serving forty-five boarding students, and thirty day students. The Mitchell School building was an omnibus-type structure, caring for all needs - classrooms, offices, dormitories, laundry, dining facilities. Fire plagued Mitchell in 1914 and all but one boys' dormitory was destroyed. The educational program adjusted to the reduced resources but still the school flourished. The first secondary school graduation was held in 1913, and was accredited by the NC Department of Public Instruction in 1922. The lower grades at Mitchell were slowly phased out as public county schools expanded and improved to fill those needs. Only high school courses were offered by 1932, the same year Mitchell graduated its first junior college students. The Junior College became accredited by the NC Department of Education in 1934, and by 1938 the school was operating solely as a Junior College.
Scope and Content Note
The Mitchell Home School Collection consists primarily of items pertaining to the School which were donated by former students and faculty, including correspondence, memorabilia, photographs, and recorded memories. The records of the Mitchell Alumni Association also are part of the collection, as are copies of minutes and reports of the Woman's Home Missionary Society as they pertain to Mitchell Home School. The date span of this collection is roughly the years the school was in operation in Misenheimer, NC, 1910 to 1937; the bulk of the materials date from the 1920's to the 1930's. Photographs are identified where possible. The correspondence in the collection consists largely of letters and postal cards written by former teachers at Mitchell to students. One student and teacher corresponded by letters for more than a half century, and some of those letters are now part of the Mitchell Home School Collection. Former students have contributed their personal items to the Collection, and thus its contents are rich in materials such as progress reports, clippings, and music programs. Stories of students' times at Mitchell are a rich source of information. These personal remembrances have been recorded both through the writings of the Mitchell students themselves and through notes taken by interviewers. Additional information on students, teachers, and life at Mitchell Home School can be found in the University's oral history collection, intact scrapbooks, and a video produced at Pfeiffer as part of the 100th anniversary celebration of the school.
Online Catalog Headings
Organization of Collection
The collection is divided into 13 series.
Alumni Association, 1930- Bulk 1975-to present.
Detailed Description of the Collection
Alumni Association, 1930- bulk 1975-
- Records of the E. Mitchell Home School Alumni association, including constitution and bylaws, correspondence, minutes, member lists, and reunion information.
- Many photocopies of clippings as well as originals, arranged alphabetically by heading or subject matter.
- General correspondence, letters to Ralph Shaver and some others from former Mitchell teachers, arranged alphabetically by sender and by date.
- Invitations to campus events such as commencement exercises and junior-senior banquet.
- Large photographs as well as newspapers and original (large) Mitchell School diplomas.
- Photographs almost entirely black and white, identified where possible. Arranged according to size in individual envelopes, which then are grouped in folders. Minimal arrangement.
- Printed programs from commencement exercises, school plays and music events
- Items include a school catalog, yearbook, and a souvenir booklet.
- Account books, grade and progress reports, diplomas; many are photocopies.
- Research notes concerning Mitchell Home School compiled by college historian and others.
- Individual pages from a scrapbook of unknown origin, arranged alphabetically by title of each page.
- Minutes of business meetings, excerpts of annual reports, and one printed item, "Mitchell Home and Rural Life in North Carolina."
- Written materials and transcripts. Recorded memories of Mitchell Home School, its pupils, and faculty members, by former students and teachers. Some are transcriptions of oral histories and conversations. See also Pfeiffer Oral Histories, a separate collection.
"Guide to the Mitchell Home School collection, 1910 - 1996 is supported with federal Library Service and
Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute
of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North
Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the
Archives Home | Manuscript Listing |Library Home | Online Catalog | University Home